HeartLess:One-day old baby born without eyes cried to death after mum refused to breastfeed her

A baby girl who was born on Sunday, August 27, with facial deformities
inKenyahas died of starvation after her mother refused to breastfeed
her.
According to the family, her 22-year old mother,Mariam Mwakomborefused
to breastfeed her because she was afraid. The baby cried for hours
after birth due to hunger and later died at night.
Mariam told DailyNation. 'she frightened me. I have never seen such a
human being." Her husband, Hassan Kitoto, said he too could not
comprehend why God gave him such a child. "I am equally scared. I
have never seen such a human being. Whatever the elders will decide
let it be," he said.
Mariam had only attended two antenatal care clinics at a public
hospital in Kilifi before giving birth prematurely to the baby at
home. The villagers and family members wanted to throw the baby in a
dungeon to let the 'gods' take care of her. But after she died they
buried her outside her parents' home to ward off bad omen associated
with such a child.
Explaining why she didn't do anti-natal, she said: "Hospitals are
very far and I couldn't afford the clinic at private hospitals. I used
traditional methods. My water broke while I was doing my chores and
she just came out. She's seven months old. I never felt any pains
during her birth. But on looking at her, we realised she did not have
eyes. I was dumbfounded. The best we could do was throw her in a
dungeon in a forest. I did not name her. I could not breastfeed her
lest the omen falls on me".
Medical doctors howver hinted that the child was born with a condition
known as anophthalmia. It is a condition in which one or both eyes do
not form during pregnancy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suspected Badoo kingpin, Alaka speaks out

Photos: Meet Dominique Chinn The Hottest Babe On Instagram

Big match feature: Sudan v Nigeria... all you need to know